Friday, November 21, 2014

NaNoWriMo -- Week Three

I'm still moving along at a good pace in National Novel Writing Month after three weeks. 

The story is beginning to take shape after several minor twists and turns which may or may not survive the first edit. That's the creative aspect I enjoy about writing -- shaping words, sentences, and paragraphs into a story that others may want to read.


For those not involved in NaNoWriMo, the goal is to produce 50,000 words in the month of November. In the end, you should have the makings of a novel. 

But it's not as easy as it may sounds. You have to stay focused on the goal, try to avoid getting behind in word count, and keep from getting discouraged when you hit those proverbial bumps in the road.

Here are my statistics:

Total words -- 35,212 words
Average words per day -- 1,676 (you need to average 1,667 so I'm slightly ahead.)
Words remaining -- 14,788
Average words to finish on time -- 1,479

As I've noted in previous updates, this is not going to be a 50k manuscript. I'm sure I'll be writing for several weeks into December, or later, before I reach the end of this opus. My guess is it will be in the 80k range. 

While the exercise isn't exactly stream of consciousness, it is letting the words flow from your fingers to the keyboard, knowing that it is only a first draft that will probably have some major revisions and edits before becoming a completed manuscript, and then seeing the light of day as a novel.

Until the next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment