One thing I did, thanks to a Write at Home.com meme posted in Facebook by Grammar Cop Cheryl Norman, was check to see how many times I used "went" rather than an action verb. Too many! I did a "find and replace" command to fix that problem.
As with any rewrite, you try to tighten dialogue, remove extraneous words, tweak characters, recheck timeline, and improve flow.
One thing I find helpful, as in Norman's posting, is to read articles, blogs, and books about writing to keep my mind focused on the mechanics as I go over the manuscript.
I like Cheryl's posts because they're informative, short, and to the point. I also regularly read blogs by Elizabeth Spann Craig, Martina Boone's Adventures in YA Publishing, and Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi's Writers Helping Writers.
And I also read novels and nonfiction for pleasure, relaxation, and perhaps learn something from other writers.
Back to rewrite.
Until the next time...