Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Memories

Another Christmas has come and gone but that doesn't mean it has to fade from memory.

While reading The State Journal this morning, I found "The Family Circus" cartoon (one of my favorites) that showed the Dad and Mom watching their children unwrap gifts under the Christmas tree. The father says, "They won't know till they're grown, but their BEST gifts are the memories they're making."

I use my camera to make memories. Christmas is one of the few times in the year -- sometimes the only one -- where the entire family gathers to celebrate.

Back when I was growing up in the 1950s, my parents didn't take that many photos. We had one of those Kodak Brownie cameras -- using black and white film most of the time -- and they generally forgot to buy film (back then you couldn't find stores open on Christmas). The digital cameras of today make it so much easier.

Some of my best memories came when my sister Sheri would invite the family to her house for Christmas. We had a boatload of young kids and it was a great time. My in-laws, Russell and Lou Alice Frederick, did the same and it was joyous occasion for my wife's side of the family.

I've used Super 8 movie cameras, camcorders, and now a digital recorder for holiday memories. I still prefer the still images.

We've tried to carry on those kinds of traditions with our children -- and now grandchildren. I was telling one of my sons that I was taking photos for my granddaughters and future generations so they will have a sense of family as they share memories with each other.

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment