Thursday, December 15, 2011

Where Have All the Presents Gone?

We've got a tree up now but it's nothing you'd see in Better Homes & Garden magazine or on the Martha Stewart Show. It's small with a few ornaments and a string of lights. And we have a wreath on the front door and two lighted trees inside the doorway.

But my wife and I like it so that's all that matters. Simple, but elegant.

As you grow older -- at least in my case -- the Christmas season changes. My two sons are married now and they're establishing their own traditions, much like my wife and I did about 40 years ago. And that's the way it should be.

We no longer need to have a large tree because it would look rather barren under the branches without the abundance of presents we had when the boys were growing up. Fortunately, we have two granddaughters -- Lily and Lola -- that we can splurge on this time of the year. But those wrapped gifts will likely be opened under their tree.

As for the boys and their wives, it'll probably be money in a gift card and perhaps a small present. I think most folks prefer it that way nowadays. Hey, I even told one of my sons to give me a gift card. The kids balk when I tell them I need socks and underwear. So with the gift card I'll probably go out and get some socks and underwear.

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment