Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lost Christmases

Sitting in my study tonight I was thinking about past Christmases. And what I discovered is that I don't remember many of them from my childhood.

Oh, there were a few things that came to mind, such as finding presents stashed away in the top of a closet when I was 8 years old. And another when I got a three-speed bike when I was 10. But, for the most part, they're hazy passages in the story of my life.

As I've grown older, the memories have faded as each year has passed by. Sometimes I get flashbacks when I'm with my siblings, but since I'm the oldest, there's a gap between my early Christmases and theirs. Photographs also trigger memories, but unfortunately, many of those were lost when my mother's basement flooded several years ago.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make, especially for younger people, is to write down in a journal those special events in your life before they slip deep inside that gray matter in your head. You can't start too soon.

You won't regret it, especially a few years from now. Trust me.

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment