Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by what I read. When I had finished the first draft on Nov. 30, I quickly closed it...and cringed a bit. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be on first read.
That's not to say that it's ready for publication. It's a long ways from seeing the light of day. But it's workable. Furthermore, I like the story. Those are big pluses.
I made a few grammatical changes. There were a few transitions that needed to be made. When I go back to it, there are some scenes that need to be more descriptive. Some characters also need to be more fully developed.
I adhere to Elmore Leonard's rule to cut out the stuff that people don't read. So that's something that will be getting more attention on the second rewrite. I want to keep it lean and fluid.
While I don't recommend waiting five months to go back to a manuscript, it certainly gave me a fresh look at my words. When I edit, I view the manuscript as I would if I were editing someone's writing.
I'll give another update after the second rewrite.
Until the next time...