Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Authors for Libraries

One of my favorite places in the world is a library because, for the most part, when I'm there I have the whole world at my fingertips. 

It's easy for me to get lost in a library. Once I step inside and start exploring, I lose track of time going from one thing to another. 

It's wise for me to have a "to-do" list so I can stay somewhat focused on my initial purpose for venturing down those hallowed shelves.

Of course, much of the excitement for me in going to the library is to have no purpose at all except to explore the books, music, magazines, newspapers, movies and anything else I stumble upon in my journey.

The other day I was in a hurry and returned books that were due that day. On my way out, I couldn't help but take a look at some of the books and media being offered at the used book store, operated by the Friends of the Library group. I ended up purchasing four books and three CDs.

I recently joined Authors for Libraries, which is part of United for Libraries, a division of the American Library Association.

Why did I join? Well, some of the reasons are mentioned above. I believe libraries are vital to communities by what they have to offer. And they're free (with support from tax dollars)for anyone to use.

And because I'm an author, I feel it's important to offer support for places that house my works as well as those of thousands of other writers. Furthermore, it's somewhat of paying back since I've done research for my books at libraries.

And the benefit will be mutual since it will connect me with libraries and vice versa for presentations, speaking engagements, and ways to promote writing and reading.

So my message to all those authors out there: Support your local library!


No comments:

Post a Comment