Sunday, June 16, 2013

Four Rewrites and Seeing the Proverbial Light at the End of the Tunnel

I've completed the fourth rewrite on my manuscript this weekend. I printed it and will go back over the hard copy with a red pen to make final changes before submitting it to my publisher, hopefully before the end of the month.

For those who haven't followed this post, the manuscript began last November. I decided to National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, so see if I could produce the workings of a novel in a month's time. 

Generally it takes me a minimum of six weeks to write a first draft (my first novel, The Touch, was written in 30 days). The others have taken two to three months. My longest novel was Foolish is the Heart, at about 100k.




This manuscript, which is for young adults, clocked in at 52,500 words today. The first draft was about 51k. My last young-adult novel, Shooting Star, was about 66k. 

After I finish fifth edit, and sign a contract with a publisher, I'll let you know the title.

Until the next time...

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Michael!!! you have done so much! you truly are amazing!... ah! the red pen! (it´s agood friend isn´t it?) again, take your time and enjoy your work! best wishes, Elizabeth xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elizabeth. I'll try to take my time. Yes, the red pen should be a good friend -- the key is to use it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete