Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Blessings Count Both Ways

My wife and I were at the local Cracker Barrel last weekend, about finished with our dinner when a family came in and sat at a table next to us. 

The family included two children with special needs -- one sitting in a wheelchair who appeared to be blind and the other with some kind of developmental disability.

The children were probably from Stewart Home School, a "community dedicated to the education and enrichment of students with special needs." It is a home away from home for students of all ages. The facility is celebrating its 120th anniversary this year.

The school believes in inclusiveness and the residents participate in activities in and around Frankfort. They also go on trips to zoos, amusement parks, sporting events, and other interesting places.

I often see their students at stores, restaurants and other places in Frankfort, accompanied by Stewart Home staff, family, or friends. They fit beautifully into the community and help contribute to the rich diversity of the place I call home.

Yes, I was almost moved to tears by seeing that family when we left Cracker Barrel. I was thinking about how "normal" folks should count their blessings. 

But later, I thought about how blessed those children are to have loving and caring parents/guardians and to live in  a secure and nurturing environment that provides for their emotional and physical needs. 

This family reminded me that blessings can be found in many situations -- if we just look for them.

Watch this video and you'll know what I'm trying to put into words:



Until the next time...

2 comments:

  1. Bless you , Michael. I wish everyone had your attitude towards those with special needs and disabilities. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Devon. I think we're making progress but there's a ways to go.

    ReplyDelete